Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Downtown Part I: Peabody and Flying Fish

Last Sunday after church, the three youngest members of the family (ha!) settled down for our naps while Wade snuck out of the house to browse for work boots in delicious, kid-free peace and quiet. A couple hours later he arrived back home just as the kids and I were emerging from our comas.
 
"Hey baby. You and the kids sleep okay?"
 
[Groggy smile and nod.]
 
"Good. Any ideas what y'all might want to do this afternoon?"
 
[Opens eyes a little, smiles mischievously.]
 
About an hour later, we were on the roof of The Peabody.
 


We'd just missed the duck march, but whom should we run into but the Duckmaster himself on his way to the "penthouse" to feed its residents!


Little Foot couldn't believe there were really ducks on the roof! She hadn't been to the Peabody since my and Wade's fifth anniversary, so it was all brand-new and very exciting for her.


This was Boo Bear's first trip downtown ever, so he was enthralled with everything.


Precious little hands exploring.


 
After some family photos and a quick stroll down South Main, we headed to Flying Fish to rustle up some dinner. (Wade and I were in a seafood mood and confident they'd have "chicken fries" on the menu for the kids, so it was a no-brainer.)
 

I used to eat here all the time back when I worked downtown, but I forgot how much fun the atmosphere is! Super kid-friendly, too.




Wade and I both went for the po' boys; fried oyster for me, fried shrimp for him. Both served with hushpuppies and fries, both insanely delicious.

I might've preferred just a little remoulade sauce on my sandwich instead of all the fixins' they pile on (cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, lettuce, pickle, tomatoes). Still, any seafood dish battered that perfectly can't help but be delicious!

They kids loved their chicken strips and fries, too--they even came in these fun little cardboard ships! Too cute.

I'm out of time for today, but stop back tomorrow when we take the kids to their very first ballgame! It was an amazing night, especially for one particular 4-1/2-year-old who got plucked from the crowd to run the bases and be on the Jumbotron ;)

Bottom line: Would I eat there again? Absolutely! Best fish fry in all of downtown :)

Flying Fish
105 S 2nd St
Memphis, TN 38103

Flying Fish on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment