Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Huey's Restaurant {Updated!}

Scroll toward the bottom of this post to read my review of Huey's potato soup!
 

Last Saturday night after seeing Frozen, Little Foot and I decided that a post-movie bite to eat was in order. She requested "chicken fries" (that's chicken nuggets/strips with fries, folks), so I knew right where to take her: Huey's Restaurant!


Huey's is one of my favorite local places to grab some grub. Service as always quick and friendly, food is always awesome, and you simply can't beat the fun, casual atmosphere.

I'm talkin' red-checkered table cloths...

Toothpicks all over the ceiling...

Graffiti covering the walls...

Plus lots of framed posters and news clippings...love it :)

Historically I'll go for their fried mushrooms with horseradish sauce or a hot club sandwich with onion rings. On this particular evening, however, my mission was burgers. Their regular menu includes many tempting options...

(Including the mouth-watering "Old Tyme A1 Burger" that almost caused me to chuck my daily PointsPlus limit out the friggin' window...)

But I resisted temptation and instead ordered the "Low Fat Huey Veggie Burger" with a mixed green side salad.


I know, I was disappointed in me too. I mean, most veggie burgers I've ever tried are these nightmarish, dried-up little patties of black beans and who knows what else. Surely this would be like all the others, right?


Wrong! Friends, this was literally one of the best burgers I've ever eaten--low-fat or otherwise. The patty was thick, moist, tender, flavorful. I'd never have guessed it was veggie if I hadn't known on the front end. The bun was fabulous, too--a hearty, slightly sweet whole wheat; the perfect compliment to the low-fat mayo, mustard, pickle, lettuce, tomato and onion that rounded out my burger. The fat-free tomato-basil vinaigrette on my salad was great, too--slightly spicy, totally yummy.
 

Huey's has never let me down before, and I'm pretty sure they'll never let me down in the future. They've been voted "Best Burgers in Memphis" for about 84 years running (okay, maybe it's more like 20 or 30), and there's a reason. Whether it's veggie, covered in onion rings and A1 sauce, or smothered in sautéed mushrooms, I guarantee you that any Huey's burger will be one of the best you've ever eaten. Ever.

Bottom line: Would I eat there again? Without a doubt, yes. Easily one of my Top 5 favorite restaurants in Memphis, casual or otherwise.

----------------------

A few weeks after my delicious veggie burger, it was f-f-f-freezing outside and I was jonesing for a bowl of Huey's potato soup. Dinner for the family to-go, please!


Because really, when it looks like this outside...



What could possibly be more comforting than a warm bowl of homemade potato soup?

(Answer: Nothing.)
 
Their potato soup has a perfect consistency: a very fine puree with the occasional hunks of potato scattered throughout. Creamy but not too rich, plus a generous sprinkling of cheese, bacon and scallions. It's winter in a bowl, friends!
 
Get you some. Today.

Huey's Restaurant
2130 W. Poplar Ave.
Collierville, TN 38017

Huey's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment