Wednesday, November 27, 2013

YoLo Frozen Yogurt {Updated!}

Scroll toward the bottom of this post to read my review of YoLo's mascarpone gelato!
 

Last Friday night Jessica and I met up to catch the latest installment of The Hunger Games series. (Verdict: Sooooo much better than the first movie--can't wait for the next installment!) After our flick I decided to drive around the corner to one of my favorite dessert spots: YoLo Frozen Yogurt.


YoLo is a locally-owned frozen yogurt chain that has a really fun self-serve concept which always seems to get me into trouble :)


(This sign explains the gist of things pretty well.)


I decided to try a small smattering of some of their more eye-catching flavors. I started things off with a little "Pumpkin Pie"...


Added a bit of my then- (and current-) favorite flavor, "Birthday Cake"...


And finished things off with a smidgen of "Triple Chocolate."


Despite the incredible selection of tasty-looking toppings...


I went with my gut and kept things simple: a little drizzle of caramel, plus a dollop of whipped cream.
 

After paying and settling into one of their comfy booths, it was time to enjoy my concoction.


"Birthday Cake" was delicious as always. "Triple Chocolate" was a nice, solid chocolate froyo. (Def give it a try if you're into that kind of thing; I've always been more of a vanilla/custard kind of girl myself.) "Pumpkin Pie" was, surprisingly, the only truly gross flavor. Put it to you this way: you know that pumpkin spice coffee creamer in your fridge? You pour some into your hot coffee, give things a stir and wind up with a scrumptious, velvety-smooth pumpkin latte. Now imagine simply opening the fridge door, grabbing the creamer and chugging it as-is. Gross, right? Yeah, this yogurt was kind of like that...

(It definitely cemented my previously-held belief that "pumpkin" is a flavor best served warm, or at least room temperature. Pumpkin pie? Good. Pumpkin cheesecake? Good. Frozen pumpkin yogurt? *Not* so good.)

Loved the light fixtures, FYI.
 
-------------------------
 
A few weeks after my delicious cup of frozen yogurt (and immediately after enjoying some yummy tomato bleu cheese soup from The Booksellers Bistro), I popped back in to Yolo for a bite of their mascarpone gelato. Most YoLo locations offer a rotating menu of about five gelato flavors, and once the Erin Drive location started offering the mascarpone flavor I knew I'd have to try some. (I'm a huge tiramisu fan.)
 

A small cup of gelato will run you just $4.25. Winning!

While it didn't hold a candle to that gelato I had on the Piazza Navona, this was some seriously good gelato, y'all. We're talkin' deep, rich mascarpone flavor with a smooth, dense (never icy) consistency. It was worth every penny and I enjoyed every bite :)

P.S. Totally digging the authentic gelato spoon :)
 
Bottom line: Would I eat there again? Yes, without question :)
 
YoLo Frozen Yogurt
559 Erin Dr.
Memphis, TN 38117
 

YoLo Frozen Yogurt on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment