Monday, October 28, 2013

Catching Up at Kwik Chek

Over the weekend I met my gorgeously preggo friend Ashlea at Kwik Chek to grab some Mediterranean-Korean fare and catch up on about, oh, ten years' worth of gossip :) Kwik Chek is one of those Midtown establishments that may seem a bit kooky to outsiders ("Wait, they serve Mediterranean and Korean food? Like, in the same spot?") while the locals just roll with it because it's plain good. And good it was.
 
P.S. It's located inside a convenience store. Did I forget to mention that?


Ashlea ordered off of the Mediterranean side of the menu while I stuck with the Korean. We both ordered root beers because, well, why not?



Ashlea's veggie pita came out first and it looked fab--filled to bursting of yummy hummus and fresh veggies! My order (the infamous Bi Bim Bop) came out next. It came out sizzling hot--served in a stone bowl, natch.


When I say sizzling, I mean sizzling--the fried egg on top cooked before my eyes!


It was absolutely scrumptious--classic hibachi-style steak and rice with lots 'o yummy steamed veggies. Perfectly portioned with a nice spicy kick--I loved it! My dessert choice (mildly sweet rice cakes called "daifuku") was...not quite as big of a hit.

 
The first bite of each tiny cake was absolutely tasteless. I don't mean that in a negative way; I mean it was literally devoid of taste. The second bite you could kind of pick up a subtle sweetness and mild flavorings (chocolate, green tea, etc), but basically these were just chewy little bites of...nothing. Odd.
 
Plus they were filled with this crazy bean paste that covered my teeth in black granules. Classy (kind of like my chipping manicure).

Ashlea's dessert choice (baklava) was the hands-down winner. As thick as a pan pizza, sticky sweet from honey and loaded with a yummy almond filling...to die for!


While the food was excellent, the company was even better :) Ashlea and I sat there for the better part of two hours just talking, reminiscing, laughing at how random the whole Mediterranean-Korean restaurant concept was... Don't you love it when old friends can just pick up where they left off like not a day has passed?

Sweet Ashlea, you are one gorgeous momma-to-be. Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to catch up! P.S. I cannot wait to meet that little angel in just a few short weeks :) So excited for you!!

Bottom line: Would I eat there again? No doubt! Besides being completely delicious, my "Things To Eat In Memphis" lists say I still need to try a muffaletta and the Fireball of Freedom ;)

Kwik Chek
2013 Madison Ave.
Memphis, TN 38104

Kwik Chek on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. The Muffaletta there is great. Also, if you are a fan of spicy foods try the Wild Bill. It is a club sandwich but with all the spicy ingredients from the Fireball of Freedom added to it.

    ReplyDelete